Wednesday, September 2, 2009

How do Guinea Pigs get a Fungal Infection?

Well some sources say that Guinea Pigs can be carriers for fungal infection in the way that we are carriers for mites.

While most of the time the mites and fungus are not a problem in certain circumstances they can take over and cause us problems.

Suggested triggers of fungal infection are stress, diet, environment, humitdity, heat, age, outside infection and genetics.

In my case it could be heat and humidity we have had a brief spell of hot humid weather here in the UK, when the humans are at home the air conditioning is on but when they are at work it can get rather warm.

Of course me could blame it all on Spooky causing me stress and interfering with my environment heeheehee.

Certain Fungal infections can be contagious (Spooky showing no signs but Mummy is ready to treat him if necessary) Infections can also be passed from Guinea Pig to human and presumably vice versa mainly RingWorm (Daddy was worried that his athletes foot may have caused my ear problem, stupid human if he had stuck his toe in my ear me would have bit him hard)

Humans should was hands thoroughly before and after handling an infected piggy (my humans are addicted to hand washing even before me got an infection its amazing they have time to do anything else)

No comments:

Post a Comment