Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Big Pigs.

When I go on holiday, I always miss my herd of Piggyfriends, so I was delighted to find a few of their big relatives, some lovely capybaras, in Dartmoor Zoo in Devon, England. I am always wary of zoos and am the first to complain if the animals' quarters are not up to scratch but these lovely capybaras had a huge enclosure, which they shared with two nice tapirs and some rheas.

When we arrived, it was a hot day and the first animals that we met were these capybaras, basking in the sun beside their pool.

 






And as you can never have enough capybaras, here are some more. The one beside the tree was obviously having a nice dream as he kept waving his paws around!



Here are their friends, the two tapirs, who were also fast asleep when we arrived and were snoring very loudly. Sorry about the wire but I could not climb in to take a better shot.



Later in the day it rained and the capybaras all woke up and went in search of lunch. Just like our piggies, they love their fresh grass.



When we were leaving, the capybaras were walking in a line like a piggy train to go to their big wooden shelter where they had lots of hay but, unfortunately, there was too much wire in the way for me to take a good pigture so here is one of the tapirs, one of whom was in the pool that they share with the capybaras.


I wish that I had room at home for a capy but their pool was bigger than my garden.

 

4 comments:

  1. Penny and the Piggyfriends15 October, 2014 16:40

    The capys come out disappointingly small but if you click on the images, you can see them much larger and can appreciate their chubby pigginess.

    Not sure what the plural of capy should be - maybe cappies but that looks wrong too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww.. So cute. Thank you for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pat & the Prairie Pigs17 October, 2014 21:12

    Thanks so much for the story and pigtures --- they really do look like giant guinea pigs, don't they?

    I couldn't resist stealing the photo of the three capys grazing in the lush meadow to use as my screen saver; I swear my blood pressure drops fifty points every time I look at it --- they all look so blissfully contented.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Penny and the Piggyfriends19 October, 2014 01:21

    I'm glad that you enjoyed them Pat. They make a very soothing picture don't they?

    ReplyDelete