Monday, March 31, 2014

Piggies of the month March

Rocky and Barney are my two mischievous 3lb.+ boars, and they are quite a handful, but I wouldn't trade them for anything.


Rocky is the black and white Peruvian, and I adopted him when he was almost 1 year old about 8 months ago. I have no idea how old Barney is, but if I had to guess I'd say he's at least 3, maybe 4; I've had him for about 2 years.
Rocky and Barney are special because they are the first two pigs I have rescued. Rocky came from a home where little kids were tired of him (I am his third home); at his first home he was separated from the other boar he lived with (Ugh). Barney came free from a horrible petstore employee whom he was living with (Barney had been brought back because he got 'too big').

Barney lived a peaceful and happy existence staring longingly at the sows until the arrival of Rocky. I had hoped to bond them considering Rocky had a friend before, but they hate each other with a passion. That is how Rocky got his name, because he 'rocked' Barney's world. Side by side in pictures is as close as they should get  :) Although the boars can't get along with one another, individually they are big lovers. Rocky loves to snuggle and he is so pretty, he could have been a show pig.

Barney is Mr. Personality, he is the most intelligent pig I have ever had, and he likes just hanging out with me. He is also fearless for a rodent, I always say he should have been a dog. Sometimes I put Rocky and Barney together during floor time with plenty of space and watch them like a hawk. One time I ran at Barney to stop him from going after Rocky and he didn't even scatter or flinch, he just looked at me like "mom, I was just protecting you from that horrible boar". He does the same thing when the actual dog rushes him in the outside cage (it's dog proof). I was also told by the cable guy last week that Barney "barked at him." I love both my boars, and those of you that have boars know how fun they can be!

Anneli with pigs Rocky, Barney, Nutmeg, and Clover.

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your story and the great pigtures

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah yes, I have a soft spot for boars too ;-)

    Lovely boys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are enjoying seeing your lovely picture on our calendar this month.

    Slave says that all pigs are wonderful but we suspect that she also has a soft spot for our boars. Our herd is half and half boars and sows so she has a lot of piggies from which to choose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Boars can be really handsome, I loved reading this story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. that is one beautiful piggy,thank you for sharring your photo ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha, what a fun update and adorable pigs!! I love how much of a "dog" Barney is. One of our girls is somewhat like that, but not nearly as brave. She "barks" from time to time and stands in a "guard dog" position to protect her sister. This made me smile, thank you for sharing and for taking such good care of these two handsome boars!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are both adorable. I especially love Rocky's hair. Thanks for sharing your story with us!

    ReplyDelete