Thursday, January 30, 2014

Calendar Piggies of January: Puff and Hershey

Baby Puff

Puff came at a very difficult time. Hershey was dying of misdiagnosed E cuniculi, and my husband, Gary, knew I'd be needing another piggie to bring me cheer. So, at work, he shopped around by phone all day until he found just the right piggie. I was coming out of a doctor's appointment in Sacramento, and the pet shop was on the way home. It was love at first sight, and you can see why when you look at her pigture!  

Hershey

Three days later, Hershey passed over the Bridge, and there was this cute little soul in an adjacent cage to ease my pain with her cute antics and sweet face. A few days later, my sister, Annie, a prize-winning photographer, dropped by with a camera for Puff's first photo shoot. It was then that we discovered she is (Puff, not Annie) a jumper--not a good candidate as a lap piggie, as she'll deliberately hurl herself off of every surface, not for fear, but just to find out what's down there. I even have to block her cage door when it's open during feeding time! You'd think she'd outgrow it.


 Oh well, my son does sky diving, and I guess this is her version of it. Anyway, I was holding little Puff to my chest for a close up of us together, and up she went, over my shoulder, to the floor, and she scrambled for a spot under my dresser. We caught her, unharmed, in the nick of time.


 She's a sweet little girl, very cooperative with her grooming sessions, as long as there's yummies involved. Even fully trimmed, you can't see her short little leggies, so it looks like she's floating as she bounces along. She's also a chirper and has done more of it than any piggie I've ever known. Of course, she won't reveal the meaning of those birdlike chirps, which remain a mystery to us all.

5 comments:

  1. Oh! What a gorgeous baby piggy! We've often wondered what Puff looks like when Slave has read us the GPDD stories including her acrobatics. We were so pleased when Slave hung up our 2014 calendar and we could see her.

    We loved Hershey very much too. She was a lovely lady.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely pigtures and stories adorable

    ReplyDelete
  3. such lovely sweet girls. We to would love to know what the bird sounds mean too.. We have one piggy Athena that loves to make that sound. Very good pigtures of both girls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear about Hershey - what a cutie pie! I love Puff, that hair is awesome! I hope her adventurous ways don't get her into trouble, but it does sound entertaining. Cute update, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Puff is so cute! Makes me remember when my piggy, Mr. Darcy, was a wee lil piglet :)

    ReplyDelete