Saturday, September 25, 2010

Guinea pig bloat

Hi there. Came across your website today and thought I'd contribute this. Don't know if you're still up and running but thought it worth trying.
 
We've had 3 cases of bloat in guineas so far and have treated 2 successfully after losing the first pig due to our personal and our vets' ignorance. My first piece of advice is to always treat withboth antibiotics and a fungle treatment when confronted with bloat, as it is practically impossible to tell which kind of bacteria is causing it without some intrusivce and dangerous testing. We always use Ceptrin, and Nystatin together. Ceptrin twice a day at 0.6 ml per kilo of weight and Nystatin once a day at 1 ml per kilo of weight. The Nystatin apparently has no side effects as many other fungle infection treatments do so it is a good option. Ceptrin is also much better than Baytril for treating for bloat. I personally don't rate Baytril very highly at all for dealing with any piggy complaints.
 
I aggree that giving Infacol is a great idea, I personally would give 1 ml roughly 3 times a day, to ensure it does it's job well. Keeping them moving is good too. I've never heard of giving olive oil before but am intending to try it out in our latest case of bloat. Also, Buscopan is a good pain killer and helps immensely. The recommended dose I've found online is 1 tablet crushed in about 2 ml of water an syringed to piggy. I also give Metacam too, roughly 0.2 ml per kilo, but you don't want to overload an already struggling system with too much new medication.
 
Also, my main discovery has been the giving of Lactobacillus, one capsule opened up and put in to about 15 ml of water, and then about half of this or more if piggy will take it, given once a day helped immensely with our pigs. I get this from health shops, try to get the dairy free varietty. This bacteria is not usually present in the gut but seems immensely useful in times of crisis. It can be found in Avipro, the probiotic also, but never seems to help in the same way in that form, for some reason.
 
I also recommend not feeding green veggies or fruit when trying to get rid of bloat, it can't help. Just hay and critical care, and leaving some of their regular nuggits around should be enough. Orange seems palitable though and in it's case the vitamin C and natural sugar can give a much needed boost. Personally I wouldn't let my guineas graze on grass when they have bloat, but that's personal choice. I would always recommend a good grass hay like meadow hay, rather than something Alfalfa based or anything like Timathy hay because this may be a bit too rich in ill piggy's systems.
 
Hope this contribution will be of some use to you. Feel free to change lay out or whatever, I realise this is a bit slapdash. Also, piggy owners out there stick up to your vets! Present them with the success of others who have treated bloat and insist they use the correct drugs and the correct doses. I've been walked all over by vets in the past and lost so many dear pigs, but it won't happen again! Their the vet, but your the poor sole who has to sit and watch and feel useless if piggy gets worse and you don't know what to do. Never be left feeling that if only you'd stood up for your piggy they might have given this or that, and because they didn't you're now blaiming yourself! It's not worth the heartache for you or piggy! Be strong piggy owners everywhere! And vets, please get your acts together! We are only interested in our pets' health and well being, not in having a row and hurting feelings!
 
If possible, would you mind sending me a brief message to let me know whether or not this information has been of any use to you and your informative site?
 
Yours sincerely,
 
Kaycee.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Kaycee, hope you check back to see comments as we have no idea where to send message as your post is sent directly to blog.

    Thank you for your comment it is indeed helpful to know how others have dealt with bloat, especially the type caused by infection we only have experience of the type that was caused by Baytril causing gut stasis and the bloat was a knock on effect.

    We hope to hear more from you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello
    I
    am a new guinea pig owner and I have noticed my younger guinea pig has a bloat. Thinking it would help I fed her carrots so I might stop that habbit. I have heard that they can't eat pellets but I do have a everlasting supply of meadow hay. I seperate her from my older during the day but at night she cries so I bring her the company. I have not been trying medicines on her, is that completly neccecary?
    I just don't want my first deceased guinea pig to be because of me. Thanks, Joe Please reply

    ReplyDelete
  3. What I always do when a pig seems to have bloat is give them 0,5 ml of oil, olive or sunflower oil, most oils are fine....
    The bloat in a piggy is more of a foam, so the oil helps breaking that down.

    I consider it bloat when I pick up the piggie and they have a swollen tummy, when you tap that you hear a hollow sound. if you don't hold them up to your ear, tap them and listen if the sound is hollow...

    There are other causes for swollen tummies, some can be quite severe, so do take him or her to the vet if the oil does not help!!!

    ReplyDelete