Saturday, September 5, 2009

Treating Fungal Ear Infection

You will all be glad to know my ear is a lot better now in fact me just has some peeling skin (not the same as scurf this is old damaged skin being pushed off by new healthy skin!!)  and bald patches otherwise me is as good as new.

When Mummy took me to the vet they gave me a prescription only medicine (POM) called Canaural this is really a treatment for dogs and cats with ringworm.

Mummy had to put this on the bad part of my ear once a day for 2 weeks and use cotton bud to spread it around, she has to do inside and out of my ear flap.

Now a week and a half later me is well on the way to recovery.

The problem with Canaural is it contains steroids and is not suitable for long term use, Daddy is worried that now me has had one infection me may be prone to more the same way he is with athletes foot. (yuck)

Mummy doesnt want me on steroids long term so she has ordered a Lavendar and Myrrh lotion from Gorgeous Guineas in case infection comes back.

Piggyfriends Mummy has also told her to give my ears a good scrubbing with my Vet Sect Repel shampoo, Mummy says Daddy will have to do this as she is a wimp, Daddy will do it when I have finished my course of Canaural. (Piggyfriends can you ban your Mummy from giving my Mummy ideas please)

Guinea Lynx suggest using Nizoral shampoo  http://www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html (human dandruff treatment)

Others suggest any human dandruff shampoo containing Ketoconazole could be used (Mummy is wary of this)

Other suggestions include Iodine/ Betadine, Miconazole Cream and Aloe Vera Gel not sure what countries these are available in.

Mummys favourite suggestion is on Peter Gurneys health pages and this is an essential oil mix. Peter suggests using Tea Tree, Lemon Grass, Lavendar, Calendular and Patchouli oils in a carrier oil (he suggests almond oil) in a ration of 1:9. 1 drop of essential oil to 9 drops of carrier oil. http://www.oginet.com/pgurney/skinp.htm

Peter also suggests Grapefruit seed oil 20 drops in an egg cup full of warm water and then painted onto infected area. (me guess you paint it with cotton bud not paintbrush!!)

If me does keep getting infected Mummy intends to make me some herself.

If anyone know of any other treatments please feel free to post them here.

2 comments:

  1. The Surrey Squeakers05 September, 2009 15:24

    Our slave once made a concoction with the oils recommended by Peter Gurney. The people in the shop where she bought them were speechless when they were told what they were for! They worked though (on our bald patches) and we smelt delightful too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our slave has used Peter's remedy too. She has also used the grapefruit seed oil, which she applied with a tiny paintbrush - the kind used for model painting ( she makes doll's house furniture ). We think that a cotton bud would be alright too.

    At the moment we are having to be shampooed with Nizoral as we are waiting for our consignment of VetSect Repel to arrive. Always a very slow service.

    We have told our slave not to give your mummy ideas ( unless she asks for them ) but she does say that in our horrible damp UK climate, some piggies are prone to fungal problems. We think that we should emigrate to somewhere warmer and drier.

    We are so glad that you are getting better.

    ReplyDelete