Monday, June 15, 2009

Me Has Spurs

Like many other guinea pigs I suffer from spurs on my front feet.

These are hard dried bits of skin that grow out from the foot.

Here is link to good description and photo on the guinealynx website.

http://www.guinealynx.info/feet.html#spurs

The spurs on the piggy in the photo seem to grow out of the bottom of the foot, mine grow up the side up of my feet and are also a lot darker than the photo.

Mummy thinks I may have got mine from sitting with my feet overhanging my old mezzanine floor which was plastic and uneven due to chewing (I now have a melamine mezzanine floor) who knows I may have developed spurs anyway.

When mine get long they irritate me so I either have to wait for mummy to cut them down with the nail clippers or I chew them off myself.

I have sometimes pulled them with my teeth but that hurt and made them bleed when they came away from foot where they were attached, I have learnt and now I only bite the side bit off NO PULLING.

I prefer to remove them myself so whenever mummy tries to cut them I throw myself about and wriggle and try to bite to put her off, she can be determined though and between us we keep them short.

If you have spurs make sure you or your human keeps them trimmed down as they can catch on things and pull off causing you pain and bleeding and risk of infection.

You have been warned!

No comments:

Post a Comment